EmStat3 or EmStat3+ Development Kit
The EmStat3 or EmStat3+ Development Kit allows to run your experiments conveniently in our PSTrace software for electrochemistry. The EmStat Development Board helps you to simplify and speed up your EmStat development project. The board can hold an EmStat module, MUX module and Arduino and/or Arduino shields.
We have different libraries available for development of Windows applications, smartphone apps, Raspberry PI and for Arduino. More information here.
The following techniques are supported by the EmStat module:
- Linear Sweep Voltammetry (LSV)
- Differential Pulse Voltammetry (DPV)
- Square Wave Voltammetry (SWV)
- Normal Pulse Voltammetry (NPV)
- Cyclic Voltammetry (CV)
These methods can all be used in their stripping modes which are applied for (ultra-) trace analysis.
Techniques as a function of time:
- Chronoamperometry (CA)
- Pulsed Amperometric Detection (PAD)
- Multiple Pulse Amperometry (MPAD)
- Open Circuit Potentiometry (OCP)
Software & Tutorials
The EmStat3 and EmStat3+ modules come with extensive code libraries that allow you to develop applications for the most popular (embedded) platforms:
- .NET 4.5.2 (Windows 7, 8 and 10 applications)
- Universal Windows Apps (Windows 10 / IoT)
- Android (using Xamarin)
- Raspberry Pi
- Arduino (open-source electronic prototyping platform)
- C library files (.h) for virtually any microcontroller system
It is also possible to control the EmStat3 or EmStat3+ module via our standard research software PSTrace.
Specifications Development Board
The following circuit protection mechanisms have been implemented in the development board:
- All digital IO’s have over-voltage, reverse-voltage, over-current, and ESD protection.
- Analog IO’s are buffered on-board for impedance isolation, over-voltage and reverse-voltage protection, and ESD protection.
- Valid input supply range of 3-12VDC, with over-current and reverse-voltage protection, and a regulated +5V supply for the EmStat to ensure correct operation and preventing damage.
The development board can be powered by:
- DC adaptor,
- screw terminals,
- via USB,
- or via the Arduino.
The development board contains the following interfaces for different forms of communication or triggering:
- USB communications via a mini-USB connector
- RS232 communications via a standard DB9 connector, allows the use of standard RS232 dongles
- An auxiliary port for use with other PalmSens modules
- On-board level shifting options for all digital IO’s, between 5V, 3V3, or any externally provided logic level less than 5V.
The potentiostat can be connected to an electrochemical cell by means of:
- A LEMO connector for use with a PalmSens Sensor Cable;
- A Screen Printed Electrode (SPE) connector;
- On-board standard test sensor option enabled by a switch;
- Pin headers/screw terminals.
The EmStat development board is designed specifically for compatibility with an Arduino Zero, Uno or Intel Edison.
Various jumper setting available for:
- selecting different UART lines,
- EmStat-DAC to Arduino-ADC,
- EmStat-4Vref to Arduino-AREF,
- EmStat-D0 & D1 to Arduino-INT0 & INT1 interrupts,
- and EmStat-Reset control from Arduino-IO4.
The dev. board can be powered from the Arduino itself, either via sharing the Arduino-DC adaptor voltage directly (3-12V), or sharing power from any shield such as an Li-ion shield.
Other features the development board contains:
- Option to populate a MUX8 or MUX16 multiplexer, with connections pulled to pinheaders/screw terminals;
- LED indicators for the EmStats digital IO activity: D0-D3, Reset, Download, RxD and TxD lines;
- Push buttons to generate a pulse on D0 or Reset lines;
- DIP switch to break UART connections to RS232, Arduino, USB, or external headers individually as required;
- Can supply up to 200mA of the regulated +5V off-board.
Have a technical question? Speak to one of our engineers.Chat now!
MUX8 multiplexer module
The MUX8 multiplexer is meant for use with 2- or 3- electrode sensors or cells up to 8 channels. The MUX8 module allows to switch:
- 8x WE, 8x RE, 8x CE
- 8x WE, 8x RE+CE joint together
- 8x WE with fixed RE and CE
MUX16 multiplexer module
The MUX16 multiplexer is used with 2 electrode sensors or cells with up to 16 channels. It can have a shared counter and reference electrode, or each working electrode with each its own combined reference/counter electrode. The MUX16 module allows to switch:
- 16x WE, 16x RE+CE joint together
- 16x WE with fixed RE and CE
The MUX8 or MUX16 module can be mounted directly on the EmStat Development board. Connections to different cells can be made using the screw terminals on the development board. The available libraries for software development are also made compatible with the MUX module. The MUX8 or MUX16 multiplexer module can also be mounted directly to the EmStat3 potentiostat module. Or it can be connected via short wires or flatcable.
It is not possible to apply a potential simultaneously to more than one sensor or cell each with three electrodes. This requires a multipotentiostat, one potentiostat for each channel. This is however possible with two electrode sensors or cells, so when combined counter and reference electrodes are applied. The EmStat3+ module is not compatible with the MUX8 or MUX16 module.